Cartilaginous fishes (Chondrichthyes) have their endoskeleton made up of cartilage. Their gills are exposed to outside.
Examples of Chondrichthyes (Cartilaginous fish)
Sharks: Body is laterally compressed and spindle like. Inhabits open water and swim actively by lateral undulation of body.
Examples: Scoliodon (Dog fish), Rhincocodon (Whale shark), and Carcharodon (White Shark)
- Scoliodon (Dog fish): Fast swimming carnivorous fish
- Rhincocodon (Whale shark): Second largest vertebrate. Largest fish
- Carcharodon (White Shark): Man eater shark
Rays: Includes skates, electric rays etc. All are bottom dwellers and sluggish, swim by flapping pectoral fins
Examples:Torpedo( Electric Ray), Trygon (Sting ray) and Latimeria
- Torpedo (Electric Ray) : Carnivorous fish, have a pair of electric organ for defense and predation.
- Trygon (Sting ray): Whip like tail, modified into stinging organ, armed with saw edged spines or stinger with venom glands, There wounds are very painful and heal slowly.
- Latimeria: Living fossil. Connecting link between fishes and amphibians. Living fish, resemble lung fishes in having internal nares, lobed fins and lung or air sac.