A polymer is a substance of high molecular mass formed by the combination of very large number of repeating units. These repeating units are called monomers. The reaction by which a monomer is converted to a polymer is called polymerization. Polymers are of two kinds: Natural and synthetic.
Examples of Natural polymers:
- Starch, cellulose: monomer is glucose
- Protein: monomer is amino acids
- Natural rubber: monomer is isoprene
Examples of Synthetic polymers:
- Polyethylene: monomer is ethylene
- Poly vinylchloride (PVC): Monomer is vinyl chloride